There’s no question that, as your business grows, your tools and technology need to evolve with it. If your accounting needs have become significantly more complex, you might assume that you need to move on from your current QuickBooks® software solution. However, that’s likely not the case.
If you feel that you’re outgrowing your current QuickBooks Online or Desktop product, don’t be discouraged – there are other QuickBooks products that you can seamlessly transition into, such as QuickBooks® Online Advanced or QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise. QuickBooks products can help you streamline accounting, financial reporting and management, project management, advanced pricing, and inventory, no matter your stage of business growth. That way, you are able to remain with the company you trust and the easy-to-use interface you know and love.
We’ll cover concerns about outgrowing QuickBooks by addressing common myths, and then explain how QuickBooks can continue to be a vital tool for your business. Use the links below to jump ahead to a specific concern you have, or read from start to finish for a deep dive.
While small business accounting software is what QuickBooks might be best known for, there is so much more to our products. Before deciding your organization has outgrown QuickBooks, learn about customization options available through QuickBooks Online Advanced and QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise.
Reality: QuickBooks Online Advanced and QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise are custom-made for larger businesses
QuickBooks accounting software is a great starting point for many businesses. However, as your business evolves, you may find that you need software with greater functionality. For instance, once you start hiring your first employees, you’ll need payroll tools. As you scale, you’ll need access for more users. As your sales increase, you’ll need to improve inventory management and fulfillment.
QuickBooks Online Advanced is equipped with features such as in-depth insights, time tracking, and assisted payroll to support growing companies. Are you reaching the point where greater sales demand means you need more advanced inventory management and pricing tools? With QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise, you can easily automate inventory and order management, helping to improve productivity and profitability.
The larger your business becomes, the more complex your operations, especially without a tool like QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise to rely on. QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise is designed to simplify essential core tasks, giving you more time to invest in business development.
Having to switch software solutions as your business scales can be time-consuming, frustrating, and costly. Staying on the same platform is ideal, if possible, and that’s easily doable with QuickBooks.
Reality: QuickBooks is a scalable solution with seamless app integrations
QuickBooks products are designed to grow with your business. Whether you’re a startup or are seeing major expansion after years of hard work, there is a QuickBooks solution that can cater to your needs.
There are three QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise tiers – Gold, Platinum, and Diamond – with Diamond offering maximum functionality. Switching to QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise means you’ll have many new capabilities at your fingertips, including advanced pricing, advanced inventory, detailed job costing, real-time order management, and increased financial visibility. Not only that, but you will also be able to further build out functionality with useful add-ons and integration with over 200 apps.
When you move over to QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise, you can also choose between local only or remote access. Remote access gives you and your team the ability to access QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise anywhere and at any time.
QuickBooks Online Advanced is an option for businesses looking to expand their software to meet their growing needs. With QuickBooks Online Advanced, you gain access to a more robust set of QuickBooks Online accounting features, plus plenty of opportunity for customization. Take advantage of highly efficient batch invoicing that eliminates time-consuming repetitive work, access for up to 25 users for easier collaboration, and real-time updates and insights that allow you to act on business decisions quickly. With both QuickBooks Enterprise and QuickBooks Online Advanced, you can enjoy premium support with our VIP customer care program.
Enterprise resource planning (ERP) systems allow you to streamline the core processes of your business by managing it all in one place. Of course, as your business grows, this will become increasingly important.
Reality: QuickBooks Online Advanced and QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise both offer ERP functionality
With QuickBooks Online Advanced and QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise, you get the functionality of a traditional ERP system without the overwhelming complexity. For example, you’ll gain access to inventory and job costing tools when you upgrade to QuickBooks Online Advanced, which offers even deeper functionality with QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise. By customizing your QuickBooks products with add-ons, you also have more flexibility to create an ERP system that is most useful for you, ensuring you have the functionality your business requires without paying for tools you won’t need.
If you want to save time on redundant tasks such as data entry, expense tracking, and invoice generation, automation is key. But, does QuickBooks have the high-level automation you need to make your business as efficient as possible?
Reality: Automation is one of the major benefits of using QuickBooks software
QuickBooks products excel at automation at every level. From bookkeeping and accounting to placing orders when inventory is low, automation is leveraged at every possible opportunity. With QuickBooks software, you can streamline workflows across the board, alleviating frustration, improving resource allocation, and providing more time for business growth activities and tasks.
Here is just a short list of the processes that QuickBooks can automate:
- Recording transactions
- Cash flow management
- Invoice generation
- Sales tax tracking
- Sending payment reminders
- Reconciling accounts
- Expense tracking
- Time tracking
- Inventory reordering
- Data synching from integrated apps
Protecting vital business information is a high priority for business owners, and it’s important that your accounting solution offers security features that safeguard against data breaches. For example, a CFO should likely have different user permissions than an entry-level employee.
Reality: QuickBooks software has highly customizable user permissions
QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise provides highly customizable user permissions, allowing you to safeguard key company information.
You can maintain the integrity of your financial data by customizing user permissions in the following ways:
- Predefined roles: QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise includes predefined roles with existing permissions to help you get started. These predefined roles cover most of the common jobs within a company, such as payroll or inventory.
- Custom roles: Create custom roles with tailored user settings. Under “Area and Activities,” choose an area of your accounts, and then decide whether the specified user should have “None,” “Full,” or “Partial” access to that area.
As your client list grows, you will want support programs that help you manage customer data. But, a customer relationship management (CRM) system doesn’t need to be built-in to be effective.
Reality: QuickBooks has a seamless CRM integration with Salesforce
QuickBooks can integrate with Salesforce through the Salesforce CRM connector add-on. By integrating with this powerful tool, all of your data is synched for more streamlined workflows between sales and support. QuickBooks Online Advanced also has a Premium Apps integration with HubSpot, another popular CRM option.
If inventory and manufacturing have become increasingly important to your business, that doesn’t mean you need to search elsewhere for a solution.
Reality: QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise specializes in inventory management for manufacturing, wholesale/distribution, and retail
QuickBooks goes far beyond accounting. One of QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise’s strengths is its advanced inventory management capabilities. Accounting, inventory, and order fulfilment are integrated, allowing you to efficiently manage this aspect of your business. With QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise, you can easily:
- Identify inventory location
- Automate Inventory Management to reduce errors
- Fill orders from multiple locations
- Send picking and packing instructions directly to the warehouse
- Strategically fulfill orders
- Automate restocking
- Run cycle counts to update inventory in real time
- Gain useful insights into true costs so you can price accurately
What is the next step up from QuickBooks?
That depends on which QuickBooks product you’re currently using. For example, if you’re currently subscribed to QuickBooks Pro or Premier Plus, your next upgrade would be to QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise. If you’re currently using QuickBooks Online Essentials or Plus, you can upgrade to QuickBooks Online Advanced. Whatever stage of growth and whatever your business needs, QuickBooks offers the tools you need to keep your business on the right track.
What size company is QuickBooks good for?
One of the most advantageous aspects of QuickBooks products for complex and fast-growing businesses is that it is designed to scale with your business. QuickBooks can accommodate smaller businesses, as well as large companies – and anything in between. As your business grows, you may need to evolve into another QuickBooks software solution that’s better suited to your needs, and we offer products designed to help you in every stage of business growth.
Do big companies use QuickBooks?
Companies of all sizes, from small startups to large-scale organizations, use QuickBooks to streamline their business processes. The additional features offered through QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise, in particular, cater to large organizations with robust accounting system needs, such as manufacturers, wholesalers/distributors, and retailers. QuickBooks Online Advanced software works especially well for professional services businesses, law firms, nonprofits, and others.
What is the best QuickBooks version for my business?
Which version of QuickBooks is best for your business depends on a variety of factors, including:
- Size of your business. This will impact which features you need to run your business – QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise provides the most powerful solution of all our products.
- Type of business you run. There are even specialized editions of QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise for certain industries.
- How many users need access. QuickBooks Online Advanced allows for 25 users simultaneously, while QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise allows for 40.
- Whether you need to limit user permissions. QuickBooks Online Advanced allows for 7 activities, while QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise allows for 115 activities and 14 predefined roles.
- Whether you have employees working remotely who need access to QuickBooks. QuickBooks Online Advanced always has remote access, whereas QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise has two options, with or without hosting.
- Whether you have advanced inventory and pricing needs. If this is a priority, QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise is the most powerful solution.
- The types of reports that will be most useful to you. While both QuickBooks Online Advanced and Enterprise offer in-depth reports, industry-specific reports are only available in QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise.
- Whether field service management is essential to your business operations. Both QuickBooks Online Advanced and QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise have add-on options for field service management.
- Whether you want to integrate payroll. There is a QuickBooks payroll add-on available for both QuickBooks Online Advanced and QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise.
- Whether you need help with payroll tax preparation and filing. With QuickBooks Assisted Payroll – which is included with the subscription of QuickBooks Enterprise Diamond – you can further benefit when payroll taxes are calculated and filed for you.
- How valuable time tracking is to your business’s operations and budgeting. Integrate time tracking so that you can accurately track job costs and payroll.
Whatever your needs, QuickBooks has a software solution for you. There are bound to be growing pains when expanding your business, but replacing your accounting system doesn’t need to be one of them. No matter where your business is right now, we make it easy to scale your software to your needs over time.
It’s time to start asking what QuickBooks can continue to do for you. Don’t write it off as a temporary solution that helped your business in the early days. QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise and QuickBooks Online Advanced are highly versatile business management ecosystems that empower your business to successfully expand. Whether you operate in construction, retail, manufacturing, or virtually any other industry, these QuickBooks products have the flexibility you need in a software solution.