cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
LeslieBarber
Level 6

Learn How Tracy Fillion is Building a Loyal Local Following *and* a Powerful Online Presence

1 tracy_1.jpg

In this digital age, it still pays dividends to nurture your business's brand recognition in your local area. Through starting small with a stall at her nearby farmers' market, clothing designer Tracy Fillion soon built up a loyal customer base that allowed her to establish a permanent shop in the area, as well as a thriving online and wholesale business. 

Now, Tracy is on the verge of expanding her operation in order to meet demand but she still holds her hometown, where it all began, close to her heart. 

We spoke with Tracy about the pros and cons of having formal training, the flexibility that comes with being self-employed and the importance of consistency when you're producing new products and designs.

Name: Tracy Fillion 

Business: We Are Stories 

Started: Summer 2008 

How did you come to create your business? 

I decided to start my business partly in response to the fact that around that time Etsy was getting big and there seemed to be a growing interest in objects with a handmade aesthetic. 

Fortunately, I live in a very supportive and creative town, so that gave me the confidence to start making my own products. My work was so rough in the beginning: I would screen print, spray paint and appliqué t-shirts and then just sell them at our local farmers’ market. 

It began as a creative outlet, but I quickly felt encouraged to continue, so I refined my skills and started creating better quality work.

Who was your very first customer? 

It was a stranger who came by the first time I went to sell my pieces at the farmers’ market! 

I remember that I was so nervous that morning. Setting up my work for the very first time I felt sick, but luckily I sold my first item before the market even opened.

2 tracy_3.jpg

When did you know your business was going to work? 

It was right at the very beginning. Since I’d been getting good responses to my products at the farmers’ markets, I decided to open a permanent shop where I could build up a customer base. 

I happened to find this beautifully restored 1964 Airstream trailer and that’s where I eventually set up shop with a friend. I remember feeling so surprised at how much work I sold out of there the first month. That reassured me that I’d made the right decision to start my business. 

What has been the biggest surprise so far after starting your own business?

I have been quite unconventional in my approach to my business since I didn't attend fashion school and, aside from some workshops, I'm completely self-taught. 

Even though I sometimes wish I had found the time to get a degree and study business, the biggest surprise has been that — despite learning everything as I go along — I've made it work.

3 tracy_2.jpg

How do you price your products? 

I still struggle with this! It's difficult to factor in every little detail when I’m creating a product from conception to completion. It’s really important to me that I price my work to make it accessible to most people, so I don't really have a set formula. I generally just add the material costs to my labor rate to come up with a wholesale price.

I also have to take into consideration my direct sales — this can bring my wholesale price down in order to balance out the final costs at which my products are sold. I want to be consistent in the way that my items are priced, as well as make sure that I'm realistic about making enough of a profit that doesn’t leave me undervalued. 

What does a typical day look like for you? 

Every day is different and often dictated by the weather. Since I can pick my own hours, I take advantage of that flexibility. If there's a snowstorm I'll go snowboarding in the morning and on sunny days I'll cross-country ski, take my dogs for a run or go for a dip in the river when it gets too hot. 

The day always starts with a strong coffee and managing my social media on the couch with my dogs. Then I go to my studio and get started on planning, cutting, printing, sewing or packing orders. When I have lots to produce for large wholesale orders, I’ll arrange for someone to come in and help me with the sewing.

While working, I like listening to podcasts, audio books and music in the background and I take plenty of breaks for snacks. I try to work at least five hours a day, but I'm often in the studio for five to ten hours most days of the week. There isn’t a formal routine to what I do, but I always get the work done.

4 tracy_6.jpg

If you could go back in time what's the one thing you would do differently when you were starting your business? 

I would have liked to have found the time to pursue a degree in fine arts. It would have given me more of a thorough background in the creative side of the production of my clothing, rather than having to learn everything as I went along. 

I don’t regret the learning process I’ve gone through, though — it’s allowed my business to grow in the way that it has.

What would you like to learn today from a network of other small business owners and self employed professionals? 

I would really like to learn how other small business owners organize their time when dealing with the often overwhelming ebbs and flows of managing a company. 

I’d also like to know what parts or processes of their businesses they hire out to other people and why. I often find it difficult to let go of having complete control, but then my work rate can suffer!

5 tracy_4.jpg

Calling all time management experts! 

We want to hear from *you.*

Can you help Tracy organize her time more efficiently, or share with her your expert tips for what to outsource when in her business?

Whether you run a team of employees or you go it alone with a detailed schedule, we'd love to hear your thoughts and stories below. :-)

Need to get in touch?

Contact us