Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
WillowOlder
Level 5

6 Entrepreneurs Explain Why Having a Mentor Helps Them Succeed in Business

Stocksy_txpab313c8fxt2200_Small_1279042.jpg

When you’re starting out in business, you need honest, objective feedback about your ideas, plans, products and services. Actually, you need meaningful guidance and helpful, constructive criticism at every stage of your business journey. That’s why so many entrepreneurs say they benefit tremendously from finding, working with and – most importantly – listening to a trusted mentor.

Of course, the most crucial step in building a successful mentor/mentee relationship is connecting with someone who’s a good fit for you, your business and your business goals. After all, there’s no single definition of what it takes to be an awesome mentor. (That being said, QB Community mentor extraordinaire Julie Gordon White lays out five important guidelines to keep in mind when you’re searching for a great business coach.)

Let’s learn from six folks in our QB Community who have figured out what works for them when it comes to finding and working with a mentor.

Screen Shot 2018-08-07 at 6.53.04 PM.png

“The best mentors are developed organically and cultivated,” says accountant Adam Fenner (@Adam_Fenner). “I have a couple, but it isn't a discussed, official relationship. I just know that if I have a question I can reach out to them for honest feedback. One is a former supervisor, who was always positive and candid. I occasionally reach out to say hi and ask one or two questions. It isn't often, but every couple of months. The other is an older business professional, who has a unique perspective after 30 years of work. They were both relationships that fit what I felt my professional development needs were, and I cultivated them.”

Screen Shot 2018-08-07 at 7.03.36 PM.png

Grace Kraaijvanger (@The_Hivery), founder of the collaborative co-working space, The Hivery, found her perfect mentor by rekindling a relationship formed two decades earlier. Now, Grace and Anne-Marie communicate via FaceTime twice a month to discuss everything from staffing issues to communication strategies. The key, says Grace, is they’ve created a mentor/mentee approach that’s just right for them. “We meditate together for ten minutes at the start of every session. Anne-Marie is my sounding board. She helps me helps me define goals and holds me accountable for making decisions or changing my mind. Above all, she integrates the personal and the business side of my life.”

Screen Shot 2018-08-07 at 6.47.53 PM.png

Ceramicist Gopi Shah says having a mentor gave her a solid foundation to launch her own successful business. When Gopi moved to a new city, she reached out tJennifer Prichard, a respected fine arts professional who knew all about running a successful art business. “Jennifer, along with her husband, was super supportive and taught me so much about becoming a professional ceramicist,” recalls Gopi. “I went into the apprenticeship asking questions and absorbing as much as I could. I don’t believe in the premise of ‘fake it till you make it.’ To me, it’s important for small business owners to be honest about our vulnerabilities and what we don’t know.”

Screen Shot 2018-08-07 at 6.46.38 PM.png

SJ Barakony (@SBSL-Founder-SJ) takes a different approach to mentorship. Although this “Chief Encouragement Officer” and educational consultant doesn’t officially work with an individual mentor, he’s got his own way of learning from experts. “I continue to be mentored through reading. Authors of books act as mentors when you fully embrace a self-directed education. I also saw an opportunity to become a paid mentor myself, so one of my four service offerings is to be a 1:1 mentor ...”

Screen Shot 2018-08-07 at 6.44.18 PM.png

QuickBooks Online ProAdvisor Steve Chase (@SteveChase) found mentorship through another channel. “One of the best things I have ever done was take the Strengths Finder 2.0 assessment,” says Steve. “I know there are some really great coaches at Gallup who focus on helping you lean into your strengths.”

Screen Shot 2018-08-07 at 7.05.35 PM.png

Our own QB Community manager, Shana Niederman (@ShanaNiederman), has found several mentors throughout her career as a content producer. How did she connect with each of them? “I identified each through my admiration of their work. I saw what they were doing and was genuinely curious about how they got to where they were.”

If you’re looking for a mentor, Shana suggests beginning a routine of inviting someone whose work you admire out for coffee once a month. “That way you establish more than a single point of contact and you have some time to ask questions about them and their business. It would also provide an opportunity for them to develop an interest in you and your success.”

Of course, a successful mentor/mentee relationship is based on give and take. Both sides of the partnership have roles and responsibilities that are key to making the relationship work. Check out these posts to help ensure you and your mentor are heading down the path to success.

Read: 5 Tips for Finding the Right Business Coach for YOU

Chime in: Do you have a mentor?

Watch: How Your Business Can Benefit From a Mentor

Learn: 7 Tips to Get the Most From Your Business Mentor

ItsYourTurn.jpg

QB Community members, what’s the most important lesson you’ve learned from working with a mentor?

Want to weigh in but not yet a QB Community member? Click HERE to sign up in a flash!

Need to get in touch?

Contact us