If you set up a new customer and for them add the prefix you want to the invoice number when you duplicate it quickbooks will continue numbering in sequence with the same prefix. Remember to duplicate invoices for your other customers to retain their sequential numbering.
I cannot find an answer to my question and hoped you could help me...
I need to get the invoice number to show on the actual invoice. The template is checked to print in the invoice # field but only the date shows up. Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks for joining this thread, @Cynthia19.
Allow me to chime in for a moment and help fix the issue you're having with the invoice number in QuickBooks Desktop (QBDT).
To start off, let's create a test invoice and make sure to use the correct template by checking the template drop-down. If the invoice number is still not showing, try to delete and recreate the template that you're using. Here's how:
1. Go to the List menu at the top and pick Templates on the drop-down.
2. Locate and right-click on the invoice template that you're using, then select Delete Template.
3. Choose OK.
4. Once deleted, click the Templates option at the bottom, then pick New and Invoice.
5. Select the Additional Customization tab on the Basic Customization page, then put a checkmark on the Screen and Print column for the Invoice Number.
6. Click Print Preview to double-check, then Close and OK.
I also added some sample screenshots below.
Once done, create a test invoice again using that template that you've recreated to check if you can now see the invoice number. For your reference, you can also check out these articles for further guidance:
That's it! Give this a try and please let me know how it goes in the comment section. I'm always here should you need further assistance. Take care and have a great rest of the day!