Learn how to delete your data in QuickBooks Online and start over with new books.
Sometimes you need to start fresh with a new QuickBooks Online company. If you're a new customer, you can simply start over. If you've used QuickBooks for a while, you need to create a new company.
Start over in QuickBooks Online
Note: Save time by reusing the lists from your old company. Learn how to move your lists to a new company file.
Your next steps depend on how long you've been using QuickBooks.
If your books are 60 days old or older
When you cancel QuickBooks, it doesn’t delete your data. You'll need to start a new company too. Use these steps to start over with new books.
Step 1: Cancel your current account
- Go to Settings ⚙ and select Account and Settings.
- Select Billing and Subscription.
- In the QuickBooks section, select Cancel.
- Follow the steps to cancel your account. If you use payroll, you should cancel your payroll account too.
Step 2: Start a new company
- Sign up for QuickBooks Online.
- Enter your user ID and password. You can use the same user ID and password you used before.
- Optional: If you use payroll, sign up again on the Workers tab.
If your books are less than 60 days old
These next steps are only for QuickBooks Essentials, Plus, and Advanced only. If you use QuickBooks Simple Start, you should follow the steps above to cancel and start a new company.
If you delete your company data, it won't cancel your QuickBooks or payroll subscriptions. However, you will have to reenter any employee or historical info you want to keep. This process completely clears out your books.
Important: Don't use these steps if you use QuickBooks Online Accountant. This will cause damage to your account that we can't undo. Instead, import a blank QuickBooks Desktop file to start over.
Delete your company data
- Sign in to QuickBooks Online.
- Look at the URL in your browser's address bar. Delete everything after the last / and enter purgecompany.
- For example:
- Before: https://...qbo.intuit.com/app/homepage
- After: https://...qbo.intuit.com/app/purgecompany
- To confirm you want to delete your company data, type Yes.
- Select Wipe data.
Once the process is finished, you can start your books from scratch.