Learn how to import your lists (vendors, customers, inventory, and chart of accounts) to QuickBooks Online.
You can move your existing lists to QuickBooks Online from QuickBooks Desktop or another QuickBooks Online company. This saves you from having to set up the items from your lists one by one.
Need to import bank transactions too? Connect your account to QuickBooks to download transactions automatically.
Step 1: Export your list reports to Excel
From another QuickBooks Online company
- Sign in to the account that has your lists.
- Select Reports.
- Depending on what list you need to export, search for and run Account List, Customer Contact List, Vendor Contact List, or Product/Service List report.
- Customize the list report’s columns. Select each report below to check how their columns should be ordered.
- After saving your report, export it.
- Open the exported report in Excel.
- Delete rows 1-4 to remove your company name and report title from the sheet.
- Save your report again as Excel or CSV.
From a QuickBooks Desktop company
- Sign in to the QuickBooks Desktop company file.
- Select Reports, then Lists.
- Depending on what list you need to export, run Account Listing, Item Listing, Customer Contact List, or Vendor Contact List report.
- Export the report to Excel.
Step 2: Import your lists to QuickBooks Online
After you export and save your reports, you can import them to QuickBooks Online.
For detailed steps on importing each list, see these articles:
Note: To see how your Excel files should look, download and open these samples: