QuickBooks HelpQuickBooksHelpIntuit

File a return in Pro Tax

SOLVEDby QuickBooks5Updated January 31, 2024

QuickBooks Online Accountant Pro Tax is cloud-based software that allows users to file tax returns directly to the CRA. The following information will guide you through the filing process.

File a T1 return in Pro Tax

1. Open the return you are trying to Efile and from the Efile drop-down menu select T1 General.
  2. Enter your EFILE number and Password.
    Note: If you don’t have an efile number you can Apply for an EFILE number on the CRA website.
  3. Click File Return and then Accept and File once you see the File return pop up.
  4. A filing confirmation will display, stating that the return has been filed successfully. You can email, download, or print your return.
    Rejected returns: The system will notify you of any rejections along with the associated CRA error code.

File a T2 return in Pro Tax

1. Open the return you are trying to Efile and from the Efile drop-down menu select T2 Federal.
  2.  Enter your EFILE number and Password or Web Access Code.
    Note: If you don’t have a web access code you can leave the field empty and request code in product to file the return. If you don’t have an efile number you can Apply for an EFILE number on the CRA website.
  3. Click File Return and then File Federal return.
  4. A filing confirmation will display, stating that the return has been filed successfully. You can email, download, or print your return.
    Rejected Returns: The system will notify you of any rejections along with the associated CRA error code.

Frequently asked questions

Does the information captured in QuickBooks Online Accountant flow through to the schedules in the T2 returns? For instance, does depreciation in QuickBooks Online Accountant flow to the S100 in Pro Tax?

Yes, users must use Workpapers in QuickBooks Online Accountant to map the data, and then pull it into Pro Tax when creating a new tax return.

Will the EFILE number and password pre-populate for each company filing?

Yes, see our article Registering for electronic filing (EFILE) and entering EFILE credentials in a return to learn how to set EFILE credentials in Pro Tax.

Where can I find the EFILE confirmation number? Can it be printed or emailed to my customer?

The confirmation number is displayed immediately after filing. The information can also be referenced from the Tax Returns tab within your client's file. It is on the Info form of both T1 and T2 return.

Is there a report that shows my EFILE status and confirmation number?

Yes, the EFILE status can be viewed from the Tax Returns tab within your client's file.

Where is the Save button?

Data entered in the Pro Tax feature automatically saves.

Does the information captured in QuickBooks Online Accountant flow through to the schedules in the T2 returns? For instance, does depreciation flow to the Schedule 100 and then to the Schedule 8 in Pro Tax?

Yes, users must use Workpapers in QuickBooks Online Accountant to map the data, and then pull it into Pro Tax when creating a new tax return.

Will the EFILE number and password pre-populate for each company filing?

It will not be saved in Pro Tax, but users can modify their browser settings in Chrome and Safari to auto-fill, or other password manager programs that are standard on web browsers.

Can administrators modify user access for filing the T2 Corp tax?

Not at this time, any user that has access to the particular client file can file the return.

Where can I find the EFILE confirmation number? Can it be printed or emailed to my customer?

The confirmation number is displayed immediately after filing. The information can also be referenced from the Tax Returns tab within your client's file.

Is there a report that shows my EFILE status and confirmation number?

Yes, the EFILE status can be viewed from the Tax Returns tab within your client's file.

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post

Sign in for the best experience

Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of QuickBooks users.

More like this