Learn how to move QuickBooks Desktop to another computer.
If you need to reinstall or move QuickBooks Desktop to another computer, we’ll show you how you can do it manually. Here’s how.
Reinstall or move your QuickBooks Desktop installation
- Have your product and license information available.
- Uninstall the existing QuickBooks program before attempting a reinstall.
- On the computer where you want QuickBooks Desktop installed, download the installation files or insert the CD.
- Install QuickBooks Desktop as you normally would.
Common questions about reinstalling or moving an existing installation
What if I don't have my CD?
If you have your license and product number but need the installation files, you can download your version of QuickBooks. See Download & Install QuickBooks Desktop for steps to access a download.
What if I don't have my license and product numbers?
Will I need to register QuickBooks after I reinstall or move it?
If you move your installation to another computer you will need to register again.
- Go to Help and select Register QuickBooks to start the process.
- After you enter your business phone and zip/ZIP code, Intuit will detect that your copy of QuickBooks was already registered and will record the registration information for the new computer. Note: If you reinstall QuickBooks on a computer where it was previously registered, you’ll not be required to register again. QuickBooks will detect that your copy of QuickBooks was already registered and won’t prompt you to register.
What about my company file(s)?
- Moving your QuickBooks installation doesn’t move your company files. Your company files must be copied to the new location separately. See Move your company file from your old computer to your new computer.
- Reinstalling QuickBooks over an existing installation doesn’t affect your company files. You can open your company files with the reinstalled copy of QuickBooks as you normally would.