Learn how to send statements to show customers summaries of their invoices, payments, credits, and balances.
When customers have outstanding balances or invoices that will soon be overdue, you can send them a customer statement. These are gentle, detailed reminders about upcoming deadlines. There are three types of customer statements in QuickBooks. Here's how to create Balance Forward, Open Item, and Transaction Statements.
Create a customer statement
- Go to the Sales menu and select the Customers tab.
- Select the checkboxes for the customers you want to make statements for.
- In the Batch actions dropdown ▼, select Create statements.
- In the Statement Type dropdown ▼, select the customer statement type:
- Balance Forward: Lists invoices and payments with outstanding balances for a specific date range.
- Open Item: Lists all open, unpaid invoices from the last 365 days.
- Transaction Statement: Lists all transactions for the selected date range.
- Select the dates for the statements and the date range.
- Review the customer's email addresses.
- Select Save, Save and close, Save and send, or Print or Preview.
Tip: If you make changes to a transaction on a statement, the statement will automatically update to match.
View current customer statements
- Go to the Sales menu and select the All sales tab.
- Select the Filter ▼ dropdown.
- In the Type dropdown, select Statements.
- Select the date range from the Date dropdown.
- Select the customers you want to see statements for from the Customer dropdown.
To delete a statement, open it and select the Delete option.
Customise your statements
There are a few customisation options for statements:
- Go to Settings ⚙ and select Account and settings.
- Select the Sales tab and go to the Statements section.
- Select Edit ✎.
- Select List each transaction as a single line or List each transaction including all detail lines.
- Select the Show ageing table at bottom of statement option.
- Select Save.