Learn how to accept and take customer payments.
QuickBooks Point of Sale is a robust payments solution. It lets you process customer transactions instantly, track inventory, and much more. Here, we'll show you how to process payments in QuickBooks Point of Sale.
Or, learn more about all the features of QuickBooks Point of Sale.
Step 1: Connect your QuickBooks Point of Sale system to QuickBooks Payments
Keep in mind, you don't necessarily need a QuickBooks Payments account to use QuickBooks Point of Sale. If you connect your account to your point of sale system, you get a few extra credit card and payment options.
- On your point of sale system, go to the File menu and select Setup Interview.
- Select the Payments tab.
- Select Yes for "Would you like to accept credit and debit cards?".
- Select Sign in and enter your QuickBooks Payments info.
- In the Payments Preferences section, select Edit settings.
- Select the Accept debit/ATM card payments checkbox. If you want to allow tips, select Allow my customer to include tips on credit card payments.
- Review the other settings options.
- When you're ready, select Done.
There are many different tools you can add to your point of sale system to help you take payments. See if these tools are right for you.
Important: If you order a PIN pad to process debit card payments, set up and install it before you take your first payment.
Step 2: Process customer payments
Now you're ready to make sales and take customer payments:
- On your point of sale home screen, select Make a Sale.
- Scan the item or select Scan or enter item information and add the products or services manually.
- Your system automatically enters the total amount due in the Charge field. Adjust the amount if you need to.
- Select a payment method. Select Credit button for credit cards. Note: The Debit button isn't available until you install the PIN pad.
- If you selected Credit or Debit, decide how you want to process the payment:
- Select Swipe and then swipe the credit card.
- Select Manual to enter the credit card manually on the screen.
- Select PIN pad and then enter the debit card number on your PIN pad.
- Select Voice if your customer is paying over the phone.
- When you're done, select Authorize Now.
- Select a Save option to save your receipt.