Learn how to import purchase bills in batches to QuickBooks Online.
Do you need to import a batch of purchase bills quickly into QuickBooks Online? If you're a QuickBooks Online Plus user, you can easily do this.
|What can I import into QuickBooks Online?
Before you get started
Prep your CSV file
Before you import your data, you need to prep your CSV (or Excel) file accurately. The following columns are required:
- Bill Date
- Due Date
- Bill Number
- Line Amount
- Line Tax Code
You'll be able to map each of your column headings to QuickBooks Online purchase bill fields during the import flow. There is also an example data file available for you to download.
- Note: If your CSV file contains new suppliers and accounts, you must import or add new suppliers, accounts, and customers before uploading your CSV file.
Import CSV file
- Go to Settings ⚙️.
- Select Import Data.
- Select Bills.
- Review what's required to import bills. There is also an example data file available.
- Once you have all the mandatory fields, select Browse , then select your .csv file.
- Select Open, then select Next.Note: You are required to populate the Line Account field even if you are only importing bill totals.
- Next, you have the option to auto-create any new suppliers that are not in QuickBooks Online. If you would like to auto-create suppliers, check the checkbox and select Next.
Note: If your CSV file contains new suppliers and accounts, you must import or add new suppliers and customers before uploading the file.
Step 1: Open Import Bills
Map column headings
Note: Mandatory fields are marked as *.
- Select the date format you have used, ex. D/M/YYYY.
- Select your VAT option (if applicable); Exclusive or Inclusive (option not available if VAT is not set up in QuickBooks Online).
- On the final mapping page, map your VAT codes to those of QuickBooks Online, then select Next. Any mapping issues will be highlighted so you can go back and resolve them.
- You will see a summary of your import. Select Start Import and the import process will begin.
- Once completed, an import summary will be displayed. Note any bills that didn't import and why, then select Done and you'll see a final completion summary.
- Select OK to finish.
Capabilities and limitations
What do I need to know?
- The following import methods should be considered if you have a large volume of new suppliers: Import customer or supplier contacts from Outlook, Excel, or Gmail.
- Discounts, credit notes, and negative amounts are not supported.
- When new suppliers are imported, if no currency is specified, QuickBooks Online assumes the home currency.
- Bills require at least one line item.
- Line [item] Accounts will need to be present in QuickBooks Online before importing.
- When Bills have multiple line items please ensure each line entry specifies the Bill Number, Supplier, and Bill Date, as seen in the example .csv file.
- The Item details section is not imported, therefore it is not possible to import the Product/Service section. For this reason, it is not possible to import items which would automatically increase stock.
- VAT must be enabled in QuickBooks Online to import transactions with VAT amounts.
- If VAT is not applicable/turned on in QuickBooks Online, then VAT codes and VAT amounts are not required, plus your sample file will not contain VAT columns.
- If VAT is applicable/turned on in QuickBooks Online, then VAT coding will be required, plus your sample file will contain VAT columns.
- QuickBooks will calculate VAT based on the VAT code if no VAT amount is specified.
- When a VAT amount is specified, the amount will override any calculation that would normally be made by QuickBooks Online. This allows for any rounding differences between QuickBooks Online and 3rd party applications.
To retain Bill numbering in your CSV file, please ensure Custom transaction numbers is turned On.
- Go to Settings ⚙️, then select Account and Settings.
- Select Sales.
- In the Sales form content section, select the Edit ✎ icon and change Custom transaction numbers from Off to On.
- Select Save, then select Done.