I have spoken about this issue with Quickbooks support today.
Support said no-one else has reported this issue, so I thought I'd check here (as the bug happens on each of the 4 Quickbooks accounts we run).
1. User creates new invoice on their iPhone using the IOS app.
2. Quickbooks creates not one, but two invoices (with sequential numbers, eg 7010, 7011).
3. The second invoice (which shouldn't exist) is always set to No Vat. The total of the second invoice always matches the first invoice. eg First invoice is for £75 + Vat = £90. Second invoice is for £90 but with No Vat.
4. The second invoice always has the same line item added, which is 'Services' (an item we never use). The line item description always says "Opening Balance' (a phrase we never use). See attached image showing how it appears on the invoice.
5. The manual fix is to spot the fact that an extra invoice has been created (I find them by running a 'No Vat Transaction Report, where Account is set to 'Services) and then delete the invoice.
6. We do not (and have never) used recurring transactions.
7. I forget exactly when I first spotted the issue, but it's definitely been happening (about once a month per account) since June 2019 (and may have been a month or two earlier).
8. It has happened on all 4 of our Quickbooks accounts (with 9 users), so it's not just one account or user. Across all 4 accounts, it has probably happened 12 times in the last 3 months.
Quickbooks Telephone Support explained "the user is creating two invoices'. I explained they were only creating one, and Quickbooks was creating the other by itself. I pointed out that every time this happens, the second invoice includes the line item 'Services' (which we never user) with an identical description of 'Opening Balance' (which we would never enter).
I asked for, and was given, a case ID, but I'm not convinced this has been recorded as a bug to investigate.
Has anyone else come across this issue?
I'd be surprised if I'm the only one, since it's happening on all 4 of our Quickbooks accounts. Having said that, none of our users are aware it's been happening and that I've been fixing it behind the scenes, so perhaps I'm just the first to notice it.
Just to update this thread. I have managed to nail down a sequence which triggers the IOS / iPhone App to create a duplicate invoice in error.
My original case was closed by support (put down to user error), but I opened a new case yesterday and have sent a video to support today showing the bug, so hopefully a fix will arrive in due course.
This bug has definitely existed since June/July 2019, so heads up to all iPhone users that they may have duplicate invoices they are unaware of, which are incorrectly inflating their sales. 100% of our transactions take place on iPhone's, so it's possible we're unusual in that respect.
In case anyone is curious, this is the sequence that breaks the IOS app.
Using IOS 13, Quickbooks iPhone app version 19.9.3
Thanks for the update on this issue. We can see the case you raised has been escalated to the tier 2 support.You should get an email update from the case soon.
If any other users are experiencing this issue please reply to this post