Learn how to email your expense receipts and bills to get them into QuickBooks Online. Once you do, you’ll see them in the Receipts tab.
If you have a receipt, you can email it to QuickBooks. We’ll extract info from it and create a transaction for you to review. Then you can edit the receipt, add it to an account, or match it to an existing transaction in the Receipts tab. You’ll also have the receipt on file for tax time.
Step 1: Customise an email address to forward to
Create a custom email address so you can forward images of your receipts and bills, even when you're on the go. To create the custom email address:
- Go to the Banking menu or Transactions menu.
- Select the Receipts tab.
- Select Forward from email.
- In the Enter a custom email field, create a customised email address. It will have @qbodocs.com at the end.
- When you're ready, select Customise email and then Confirm. Note: Once you claim an email address, you can't change it.
- Give permission for users to forward emails to your new email address by turning on the toggle for each user. Or to add a new user, select Add new user. Learn how to add a new user.
- Then select Done.
Step 2: Forward images of receipts and bills to QuickBooks
First, capture images of your receipts and bills:
- Take a picture of your bill or receipt on your mobile device. The photo must be a pdf, jpeg, jpg, gif, or png.
- Make sure each image or file contains only one receipt.
- Email the image to your custom email address @qbodocs.com. It may take a few minutes to send.
We'll take care of the rest. QuickBooks automatically pulls dates, amounts, supplier, and last four digits of the credit card from the image.
Note: You can send multiple receipt images in one email. The email attachment's file size must be between 46KB to 20 MB.
Step 3: Review and categorise your bills and receipts
Now your bills and receipts are in QuickBooks. Follow these steps to review and categorise them into the correct accounts.