Learn how to refund purchases to gift cards instead of cash or credit cards.
With QuickBooks Point of Sale, you can refund payments as cash or send them back to credit cards when customers make returns.
If your business uses gift cards, you can also issue refunds to gift cards. Learn more about setting up gift cards in Point of Sale.
Refund a purchase to a gift card
- Get the gift card you want to refund the payment to.
- On the QuickBooks Point of Sale homepage, select Point of Sale and then New Return Receipt.
- Select the name of the customer making the return to bring up their original sales receipt.
- Add the returned item(s) to the refund receipt. Enter the quantity for each line item and select the Return box. The Return Qty on the return receipt should be a positive number.
- Select Add selected items.
- On the Sales Receipt payment screen, select Gift and then Gift Card.
- Swipe the gift card or manually enter the gift card number. Then select Save
- After your point of sale system updates the card balance, select Save & Print to print the receipt and email the customer.
You're all set. The return is complete and your customer can use the gift card for future purchases.