Find out what your computer needs to run the best QuickBooks Desktop experience.
Get the best experience in QuickBooks. Here’s helpful info about the operating system, hardware, software, and other requirements to run QuickBooks Desktop.
QuickBooks Pro/Premier 2019 and Enterprise 19.0
- Windows 10, all editions including 64-bit, natively installed
- Windows 8.1 (Update 1), all editions including 64-bit, natively installed
- Windows 7 SP1, all editions including 64-bit, natively installed (only supported until January 2020)
- Windows Server 2016
- Windows Server 2012 R2
- Windows Server 2011, Standard and Essentials
- Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 (only supported until January 2020)
Note: QuickBooks requires you to use Windows natively and not through an emulator or virtual environment.
|Windows (natively installed)||
|Linux (when using QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions Database Server-only installation)||
Hardware and Operating system requirements (client and server)
|Processor||2.4 GHz minimum|
|RAM||4GB minimum, 8GB Recommended
Server RAM Requirements
Note: For the best performance, store your QuickBooks data file on a solid-state drive.
|Optical Drive||4X DVD-ROM drive required for CD installations (unless QuickBooks is downloaded from Intuit server).|
Note: Internet access is required.
You can integrate QuickBooks with hundreds of other apps. Below is a list of the most common apps you can use. To find more, go to the Intuit App Store.
Note: Additional RAM can enhance the use of these features.
- Microsoft Office:
- Office 2016 (including Outlook 2016) both on 32 and 64-bit.
- Office 2010 and Office 2013 and 365 (including Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2013) both on 32 and 64 bit. Note: Office 365 is only supported when it is locally installed, not the web version.
- Email Estimates, Invoices and other forms with Microsoft Outlook 2010-2016, Microsoft Outlook with Office 365, Gmail, Yahoo! Mail and Outlook.com, other SMTP-supporting e-mail clients.
- Preparing letters requires Microsoft Word 2016, 2013, or 2010 or Office 365 (includes 64-bit).
- Exporting reports requires Microsoft Excel 2016, 2013, or 2010 or Office 365 (includes 64-bit).
- Contact Synchronization with Microsoft Outlook requires Outlook 2010 (32-bit).
- Synchronization with Outlook requires QuickBooks Contact Sync for Outlook (the download is available at no charge). Note: Contact Sync does not work with the Microsoft Business Contact Manager Outlook plug-in. Syncing could cause duplicate records.
- QuickBooks Point of Sale V18.0 and V12.0
- TurboTax 2018 (Personal and Business)
- Lacerte 2018 and 2017
- Pro-Series tax years 2017 and 2016
- Quicken 2018, 2017, 2016
- QuickBooks for Mac 2016
- Adobe Acrobat Reader: Business Planner, Payroll and viewing forms require Adobe Acrobat Reader 9.0 or later.
- Payroll and other online features and services require Internet access with at least a 56 Kbps connection speed (1 Mbps recommended). DSL or cable modem is recommended.
- Gmail, Yahoo Email, Windows Mail, Hotmail and AOL (i.e Mozilla Thunderbird Email Client*). Note: *Supports plain text version in Mozilla.
- Internet Explorer 11
Firewall and antivirus software compatibility
We tested QuickBooks Pro 2019, Premier 2019, and Enterprise 19.0 with the following firewall and antivirus programs.
Note: In some cases, you may need to adjust some settings in these programs to get the best possible QuickBooks performance.
- Windows Server Firewall (all editions)
- Windows 8.1 Firewall (all editions)
- Windows 7 Firewall (all editions)
- Microsoft Security Essentials
Note: QuickBooks will work with systems running RAID (Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks) but this is not recommended because it may cause QuickBooks to operate slowly.
QuickBooks Desktop 2019 requires internet security protocol TLS 1.2 for the connected services to work smoothly.
QuickBooks for Mac 2019
Minimum system requirements
- At least macOS 10.12 (Sierra); supported by macOS 10.13 (High Sierra), macOS 10.14 (Mojave).
- Intel processor, Core 2 Duo or higher.
- Multiuser Server: Intel Core 2 Duo or higher processor to run a server.
- 2 GB RAM (4 GB RAM recommended).
- 250 MB of available disk space.
- CD/DVD drive or Internet connection for downloaded installation.
- Printer: 100% Macintosh-compatible printer, if you plan to print invoices, checks, deposit slips, lists, purchase orders, mailing labels, reports, or graphs.
- Checks: Use Intuit Checks if you plan to print checks. Canadian Image Ready Checks are not supported.
- Product registration required.
- Exporting report data: This requires Apple Numbers v3.5, Microsoft Excel 2016 or later, including Mac Office 365.
- Emailing: This requires Apple Mail, Microsoft Outlook 2016 or later, including Mac Office 365.
- Payment: This requires Intuit Merchant Service if you accept credit and debit cards. Merchant Service for QuickBooks for Mac is sold separately and subject for application approval. Debit card transactions are processed as Signature Debit, which does not require entering a PIN code.
- Payroll: Here are the Payroll services that will work with your QuickBooks for Mac:
Note: Payroll for Mac requires your EIN and an internet connection to work. Printing checks and forms also require Adobe Reader. Additional fees may apply.
- Mac apps: You can sync QuickBooks Desktop for Mac with Apple’s Calendar, Messages, and Contacts.
- File conversion: QuickBooks for Mac supports one-way conversion to QuickBooks Online and one-way conversion from QuickBooks Desktop for Windows 2016 to 2018.
- QuickBooks Desktop for Mac 2019 supports file conversion from and to QuickBooks Desktop 2019.
|Important: If the product requirements above don’t specifically state an operating system, hardware, software, firewall or antivirus is supported, it hasn’t been tested. Intuit can’t promise your experience will be trouble-free.
If you experience problems outside of the supported environment, technical support will be limited to standard troubleshooting. If unresolved, the program should be returned to a supported environment for additional support.
If Microsoft no longer supports the aforementioned products, then neither shall Intuit.